Effective and Unsettling”BBC Music Magazine
It is refreshing to encounter a composer making albums with new classical music in this way, for when used imaginatively the format still has much to give.Arcana.fm
The centerpiece of the album is Quartet No. 4 (Entangled) was originally commissioned by the Institute of Physics for the NI Science Festival‘s 2018 John Bell Lecture, where it was premièred. The three movements (Waves, Spooky Action and Spinning) are each a music exploration and response to a different facet of the work relating to John Stewart Bell through string quartet and electronics.
The composition is accompanied by a moving image work by Marisa Zanotti which responds to the musical structures in the score, creating images of entanglement by playing with light, time and dancing bodies.
Quartet No. 6 was writen while I was staying at an Air BnB in Tallinn, Estonia, and begin life when I picked up a set of windchimes the owner had left lying around. The piece is an orchestration of those chimes and imagines a great hand jiggling the quartet to initiate each gesture. Quartet No. 5 a more spectral composition hinting at electronics through the techniques used by the quartet.
Response One and Respone Two are two purely electronic works responding to and using samples from the previous quartets.
Matthew Whiteside on Resonance FM, Wavelength 22/11/2019
Matthew Whiteside’s new album of string quartets is one of those breezy affairs exploring the water cooler topics of Quantum Theory and Entanglement. Challenge accepted?”The Prickle
Tracks 1, 3-5 and 7-9 performed by Aurea Quartet
Julian Azkoul – violin 1 (tracks 1, 7-9), Emma Oldfield – violin 1 (tracks 3 – 5), Rosemary Attree – violin 2, Christine Anderson – viola, Abby Hayward – cello
All music composed and produced by Matthew Whiteside
~Entangled, Commissioned by the Institute of Physics
Recorded: Airtight Studios, Manchester
Cover Artwork: Marisa Zanotti
Album design: Hlavi.com
Entangled is the soundtrack for an extended Halloween, extended for those who are currently catching up on their youth.Thoroughly Good
The short film made Marisa Zanotti to accompany the third section, “Spinning”, its grainy footage of a dancing couple nicely matched with Whiteside’s hyperactive music. The players collide and cooperate in between bouts of frenzied independence and there’s an abrupt, inconclusive close.The Arts Desk
Entangled Progress Blog
- It has been about a month since my last blog on Registrations and Distribution in this series on releasing Entangled and I promised to talk …
- Today has been a day of looking at spreadsheets, adding meta data, uploading music and registering it all. Boring but the stuff I warned you …
- After recording everything you then have to edit and mix it. This can be a really easy process or a really hard one depending on …
- I am starting this the day before I head to Manchester to rehearse and record with the Aurea Quartet so I can do a check-list …
- My previous blog talked about where I am now and how Entangled came about. This one is going to be an update on what is …